Friday, September 11, 2015

Pregnancy in the First Trimester

How I'm handling being pregnant so far:

At 10 weeks  pregnant, I finally started to feel like a normal human being again. I've read and been told that pregnancy is such a beautiful thing, but that was hard to believe during weeks 7-8 which were the peak weeks of my morning sickness.

Now it is much easier to get up and ready for work. I am able to eat more, my appetite is almost back to what it was before my pregnancy. I also have more energy. I still find myself exhausted by 9 pm, but this is a big improvement from clocking out at 7 pm.

Lifestyle changes

Since finding out about my pregnancy I have made a few gradual changes. Prior to this point, I



was on a mostly fish diet. Mainly salmon, tilapia and shrimp, along with occasional baked chicken. So I have had to make some changes to my diet to include less fish, to protect my child from too much mercury, and more red meat & chicken. This change wasn't too hard since I have not always been on the mostly fish diet, but adding more calcium and certain foods has been a bit harder. I hate the taste of milk outside of a bowl of cereal, so getting more milk and calcium has been a challenge. I'm sure I will make more changes as we move along this journey but for now not much has changed. I've never been a heavy drinker and I don't smoke so that makes things pretty easy.



I've also notified my boss and coworkers about the baby. I did not plan on telling them as soon as I did, but I needed to let them know why I was consistently late and sick a few weeks ago. I did not have any problems. In fact, it helped me a lot since my boss was able to get me a lot of useful information about maternity leave and disability pay.

Mind over Matter

In America, the average age of women who have children is 25, but surprisingly I do not have any close friends that have had children. Because of this I am not entirely in "mommy mode". I now have more experience with children since being in a relationship with someone who has a 4-year-old, but this hasn't taught me much about pregnancy, childbirth or caring for an infant. Raising tiny humans is relatively new to me! But I know that I do have strong maternal instincts that will kick in over time.

To prepare I have been doing a lot of reading but I have also been doing a lot of YouTube research. In case you don't know, YouTube is actually better than reality TV in some instances. Many of the popular channels have a large following and thousands of views per video. Two of the newer pages I have begun to follow are The Daily Davidsons and Jame & Nikki.

Both of these channels primarily put out Vlogs of their daily life and experiences, which can seem boring, but it is actually very interesting and in many cases entertaining. 
The Daily Davidsons are my new obsession. Tiffany & TJ bring their viewers daily vlogs detailing their life during Tiffany's three pregnancy's, raising their sons and everyday experiences. This is a great channel to follow for tons of information about being pregnant and family life. 

Jamie and Nikki are expecting their first child together so their situation is very similar to my own. I really like watching these videos because you really get the opportunity to learn about these people and get a great insight to life as an expectant mother and parent. It also helps that Tiffany & Nikki are very close in age to me. Most of the advice I get is from my mom or aunts, but it's nice to get a new perspective on parenting and pregnancy in this generation. For example, I discovered Gender Reveal parties through both of these channels. This is not something that happened in our mother's generation, but now I can't image coming to term without having one.

Planning

Speaking of gender reveal parties, I have been eagerly planning & getting Pintrest ideas for my own. Even thought this party and the baby shower are quite a ways off there is nothing wrong with planning. The gender reveal will happen after I'm about 20 weeks. By then the gender should be visible. The baby shower will probably happen in February. But we have some time to plan those things so it's not very high on my priority list. Now I'm mostly focusing on eating right and staying stress free!

Don't Forget to Follow Me!! 

Subscribe to my blog by entering your email blow
 :-) Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment