Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ways to Wear it: Little Black Dress

     I'm all about getting the bang for your buck and the best way to do that in your closet is to figure out how to wear your clothes many different ways. In this blog I will be showing you how to create five different looks using this $12 Black dress I got from H&M. I'll be wearing the same dress with different accessories, jackets and shoes to tell a different story with each outfit. Since it is late September I will be showing you five different fall looks with this long sleeve body con dress but you can do this with in any season.
    If you are not comfortable with wearing such a form fitting dress you can also create these looks with skater or flare dresses. You could even check out Pintrest and see all of the different ways you can wear your summer maxi dresses in the fall. Of course I used Pintrest to gain inspiration for my looks. If you want to take a look at my Pin-spirations for these looks and get more ideas you can check out the Little Black Dress board I created on the Little Things B Loves Pintrest Page.




Date Night 


     This is definitely an outfit I would wear on a date with my boyfriend. It's figure flattering and dressy yet casual. We usually go out to the movies or a restaurant near our home in the burbs, nothing too fancy, and I think this would be perfect for that.  The form fitting nature of the dress is balanced out by the fitted denim jacket while the lace tights maintains the sex appeal giving you a great Date Night outfit.

     I chose to wear my tall Staci boots from Payless to complete that dressy yet casual look but you could also wear this with flat boots. This is a very simple, easy way to wear this dress. Not too much effort will be put into recreating this look. 


Outfit Details 
**These are pieces I've owned for quite some time so I don't have the exact pricing anymore, but I do remember where I got them!

Jacket- Old Navy
Boots- Payless
Necklace- H&M
Tights- Forever 21
Sunglasses- Aldo


Sunday Fun Day

     I think this might be my favorite look. Finding a new way to wear my chambray top always puts a smile on my face. It truly is the most versatile piece of clothing I own. If you don't have one you should seriously find one. 

     Here I'm wearing the dress as a skirt. The great thing about this outfit is that even though you don't see the top half of the dress it still plays a crucial role in this outfit by adding a layer and providing much needed warmth to your arms and chest.

    Adding these layers on the top also balances out the amount of skin you are showing on your legs by covering up your arms and tucking away that cleavage. You could add more layers by wearing tights or leg warmers under your boots. I kind of like showing a little leg which is why I went without the tights. 

     Because the boots and top are neutral you could wear a body con dress or skirt in any color to pull off this look.

Outfit Details 

Chambray Shirt: Forever 21 

Belt: Target 

Bag: Forever 21 

Boots: Bakers "Tall Tale"

Necklace: H&M





Work Wear 

     This is absolutely something I would wear to work. It is very simple & put together, comfortable for wearing all day at the office and it can easily be taken from work right to happy hour!

     Even if you don't have a body con dress you can recreate this with a skirt and a long sleeved shirt.

     Since this outfit is pretty basic and monochromatic I used my accessories to spice it up. Wearing long skirts can be a little aging or conservative but the shoes add youth and flare to this outfit. I also used my jean jacket to accent my waist and and purple bag to add a pop of color.



Outfit Details 

Jacket: Old Navy
Shoes: Payless "Manzo" by Fioni
Bag: Charming Charlie 
Purple -$29 
Necklace: Forever 21























Rockin' Roll

     This outfit is more on the club side, not something you would wear every day. When I was in college a would wear these $12 dresses out all the time. Switching up the shoes and jewelry was a great way for broke college girls to keep those party dresses fresh from weekend to weekend.

    In this look I'm sporting ankle booties and a motorcycle jacket to create an edgy look.
The animal print bag with black leather detailing also adds to the over all edge of the look while also complimenting the necklace with it's gold hardware.

      I chose to wear booties but you could op for a tall heeled boot or black strappy heeled sandals to change the look up a bit.






Outfit Details 

Jacket: Express 

Necklace: Forever 21 

Bag: JC Penney's 

Shoes: Kohls 































Around Town

     This is probably my second favorite look simply because it is so fun. This is another easy weekend look. It reminds me of sight seeing around the city or having lunch with friends.

     Again I am wearing the dress as a skirt instead of a shirt or dress. The loose sweat shirt top tones down the sexy quality of the figure flattering dress while adding nice touches of detail with the mesh detailing. Because the sleeves of the dress are black you can't tell that the sleeves of the shirt are actually see through. Even though you can't see the skin that the shirt normally allows you to I think having the dress on underneath still works because it gives the shirt a different look and adds warmth for those cold fall/winter days.

     The wine colored bag and purple lip ad a nice hint of warm fall colors to an otherwise monochromatic look. 






Outfit Details 
Shirt: JC Penney's
Necklace: H&M
Bag: Charming Charlie
Paulina Double Zipper in Wine $29
Boots: JC Penney "Colleen"


I hope this blog showed you how versatile body con dresses can be. Even if you aren't shaped like a hour glass you can pull these off with the right accessories and additional layering pieces to flatter your body and make the dress fit whatever occasion you need. So next time you see that plain $12 dress in the store don't count it out. It can give you endless possibilities of great outfits!

Thank you for reading :)

Loving up Beau, My 5 year old Yorkie



Don't Forget to Follow Me!! 

@littlethingsbloves on Instagram 


Subscribe to my blog by entering your email blow
 :-) Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment