Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tales from the roots: Protective styling part 2

An important part about growing your hair is finding the balance between wearing protective styling. Even when I was relaxed I would wear sew in weaves or wigs as a method to reduce the amount of manipulation I did to my hair. Now that I am natural and spend a lot of time researching new things to do to my hair I have found that weaves and wigs are only the tip of the protective styling iceberg. They usually involve wearing your hair in a bun or braids for a few days or weeks, require little combing or tinkering daily but still require oiling your hair and wrapping it up at night. 

Now that I have chopped a bit of my hair off I won't be able to achieve some of these protective styles but here they are anyway! 
This is Toni and she is a part of the natural hair Youtube trio My Natural Sistas. She was my inspiration for the pompadour I did a while back. In this style she puts her read hair into a bun then adds weave braids to it to create this exaggerated bun with a matching braided bang. I used to see these styles and think "I don't have enough hair to pull this off" or "I have to wait until I have been natural for at least two years until I can do something like that!" all lies! If you can at least pull your hair into a bun, no matter how snatched, leave the rest to the magic of weave!! 

If you like Toni's hair you might want to check out the page she shares with her sisters on Youtube. They do videos about hair, makeup, outfits and even hairstyles for natural children. All of them are very easy to replicate.


My Youtube natural hair arsenal also includes Yolanda Renee, Natural Me 4C, Miss KenK, for those rocking a TWA (teeny weeny afro), Bronzegoddess01, for those of us with Dreadlocs, and Colouredbeautiful, for anyone considering coloring their hair or playing around with wigs. 
I haven't tried Toni's super cute up-do yet but I have attempted to wear goddess braids. I sort of stumbled upon this style. I didn't want to put more heat on my straitened hair which had started to revert back to its natural state in some places so I had my mom braid my hair. I liked the outcome but I wished I had bigger, more dramatic braids. So with a little googling and Youtubing I found that girls were doing this and calling it Goddess Braids. My cousin and I attempted it and failed but if you can pull it off go for it! I usually can keep my braids nice and neat for 3-4 days then I take them down and rebraid them. 
My favorite goddess braid is shown in the picture above, courtesy of Instagram's @lo_hair. Some of my other Instagram natural hair inspiration profiles are Teamnatural_, Colouredbeautiful, misskenk, Mckenzie_renae, Protectivestyles, and thecutlife. 

 Blackgirllonghair.com is a great site that has tons of information about natural hair care, styles, personal stories from readers and so much more so definitly check them out. I like to read the stories of other people's transition struggles and triumphs. They also have a page on Pintrest, Facebook.

This doesn't begin to scratch the surface of protective styles, there are sooooo many different styles and different variations to those styles. I just wanted to share a few of the ones I really liked and will try when my hair grows back out.
Thanks for reading, remember to share :-)

For more about Toni on Blackgirllonghair.com follow the link below...
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/02/toni-natural-hair-style-icon/

Don't Forget to Follow Me!! 


Subscribe to my blog by entering your email blow
 :-) Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment