Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tales from the Roots: Havana Twist

Havana Twists Protective Style 

As summer approaches all of the Naturals are searching for the next protective style. Protective styling in the summer is very important. It help us deal with the heat, gives our hair a break and allows it to grow. I like many naturals chose to get twists/braids, instead of weaves or wigs. Last year I got Senegalese twists for my vacation but this year I decided to try the Havana twists. The main difference here is the size but the method of twisting is pretty much the same.



To prep my hair all I did was wash and condition as normal the day before styling. I wanted to stretch my hair without putting much more heat on my hair than I normally do so I sectioned and detangled thoroughly. Then I blow dried each section of hair with the blow drying on low heat. I did not blow dry each section completely dry. Instead I waiting until the hair was about 85% dry then I braided each section to allow it to air dry over night. My main concern was achieving a protective style without causing breakage or damage to my hair in the process and I think I accomplished that.

I did not attempt this myself. I went to Alexandria (@Hair_Alexandriaa on Instagram) at Chicago Style Lounge in Chicago and it took her a little less than 2 hours to complete these large twists. In total about 4.5 packs of Cuban twist hair, 16 inch was used to achieve this style. I purchase the hair before my appointment for about $5.99 a pack. With the 5 packs of hair included my total cost for this hair style came to about $150, which is not bad at all.

So far I have only had the style for about 2 days and I still love it. It is tight but not unbearable, my edges were not assaulted and I think I will be able to keep it up for a while. The only thing that I don't like is the brand of hair I chose. I know a lot of people use the Cuban twist hair for Crochet Braids & Marley twists but I find it very stiff and rough. Next time I will spend more time doing research and feeling the hair while in the store. I think the FreeTress Island Twist braid (used on my Crochet Wig) would have been a better choice.

Next time around I do want to try to do my own twists. Possibly after I take these down I will try and hopefully it doesn't turn into a disaster!


Below is a video I did showing off my hair, check it out on my YouTube page!


Don't Forget to Follow Me!! 


Subscribe to my blog by entering your email blow
 :-) Thank you for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment