Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Still Chevron Dreamin'




Last year around this time I did a complete over haul of my bedroom. Check out my post Chevron Dreamin for pictures of how my room looked before and after. This year I decided to change things up for spring.


My reasoning for painting my walls gray and white was to give myself room for a lot of change. My walls and carpet are a blank palette, allowing me to change up my look by simply changing out my room accessories (Comforter, paintings, rug etc). This is exactly what I did a few weeks ago.




  

I went to Target and picked up a new comforter set. I decided to go with a simple yellow & gray pattern to bring some spring and summer light into my room. This was an 8 piece set that was $89.99. I paid full price unfortunately but if you are patient you can usually order online and get 10-20% off depending on when you order ad if you use your REDcard. This set came with 2 decorative pillows, 2 pillow shams, 2 Euro pillow shams, the comforter and a bed skirt. All for under $100. I added my giant Chevron pillow which matches nicely with the colors of the bed spread and wall. I still have the Euro shams in the bag, I need to order special pillows for these but I will be putting them to use later.


I also ordered a small bookshelf from Target. I got this for about $50 and I really love it. My room is on the smaller side so I got a 3 shelf book shelf instead of your typical 5. I also went with an open or lattice style so the piece wouldn't seem too heavy in my small space. Overall I love it! I needed more space for my books, which had begun to block out the sun coming through my window.

The best part about owning a book shelf is getting to decorate it. The bookshelf is no long just function only, it can add a lot of character to a room. Check out bookshelf decorating on Pintrest, this is where I got a lot of my ideas. The basic principles behind bookshelf organization & decoration are book arrangement, knickknacks & balance. I decided to stagger each shelf, making sure to stack my books both horizontally & vertically but not repeating the same style shelf after shelf. I also added two different knickknacks on each shelf.

I ended up with so much cute stuff that it was hard not to over crowd my shelves with what I had so I needed to pick carefully. I have two candles, one real and the other battery powered, and one fake plant from Ross ($7.99). All three of these items are things I already owned.
To add more oomph I picked up this fabulous Elephant from Ross for $13.99, a silver/pewter picture frame for $4.99 and a small vase with flowers from Target.

I think the bookshelf really pulls the room together. I'm very pleased. I know that the small $50 investment was not wasted on this. It's definitely something I can see myself using down the line when I move into my own house.




Don't Forget to Follow Me!! 


Subscribe to my blog by entering your email blow
 :-) Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment